Saturday, April 17, 2010

Checklists Are Da Bomb



I love checklists. I especially love it when a checklist helps me do something faster and better because I already figured that out once before!

There are all kinds of checklists, of course. To Do Lists and Shopping Lists are familiar to us all. But the checklists I'm thinking of are "reusable" ones. If you go through a process and learn all the steps, seeing what works and what doesn't, why re-think it each time you repeat the process? Why not start with a checklist you refine as you go and use it the next time?

For example, I have a Master Grocery List of all the household foods and sundries I regularly buy, broken down for each store I frequent. Sure I write down things we need as I go, but when I go to the store I check the Master List so I don't forget anything and have to go back. Because it's a computer file I can revise it anytime I need to and print out a fresh one.

I also have a Travel Checklist (what to pack, what to do before I go, who to contact), a holiday preparation list for Thanksgiving and one for Christmas, a Party Planning Checklist, and now I'm developing one that I think will be a great help in my other occupation as jewelry designer (pop over to my jewelry blog if you're curious). I'm doing some arts and crafts shows this year and with the help of some fellow artists who've done this sort of thing many more times than I have I'm developing a Crafts Show Preparation Checklist. Hey, maybe I'll post it when I get it done!

What checklists would make your life easier? Could one help you manage your business or keep your house in order? How about the kids? Hey, if it's good enough for airplane pilots, why not us?

No comments:

Post a Comment